This privacy statement applies to the National Coronial Information System (NCIS) public website only and explains how your personal information will be handled by the NCIS when you access and interact with the website.
The NCIS values the privacy of every individual and is committed to handling personal information in accordance with the privacy principles contained in the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic).
Collection of personal information
You can use the NCIS website anonymously without disclosing any of your personal information to the NCIS. However, for some functions of the website the collection of personal information about you or another person is necessary or unavoidable for the NCIS to provide a service for you. The types of information that the NCIS may collect through the website includes:
- your name, email address, telephone number and other contact or identification details
- the content of any online enquiry, request or comment that you submit to this website
- the content of any other solicited or unsolicited electronic communication that you send to the website.
You will know if the NCIS is collecting personal information from you because you will be asked to provide it. The exception is where someone else provides the NCIS with your personal information. The NCIS cannot prevent this. However, you are entitled to access and correct any personal information about you collected by the website.
Use and disclosure of personal information
The NCIS will not use or disclose any personal information collected through the website unless the use or disclosure is:
- for the primary purpose the information was collected
- for a related secondary purpose, which an individual ought to reasonably expect in the circumstances
- required or authorised by law, or
- for any other purpose permitted under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) or Health Records Act 2001 (Vic) .
Personal information which you provide to the NCIS website using any web service may be accessible to other users of the web service who are not officers, employees or contractors of the NCIS. Other users of, and third parties which provide, such web services may use or disclose your personal information for any purpose including the purpose of sending you unsolicited electronic communications. You acknowledge and agree that the NCIS is not responsible for any such use or disclosure.
The NCIS uses Google Analytics to monitor and report on how online visitors use our website. This information allows us to improve the site and is not used by the NCIS to identify you in any way. The information collected when you visit the website includes:
- your browser and operating system
- your IP or server address
- the screen resolution of your PC
- the time and date you visit our site
- the pages you visit and the files you download
- the search terms you use to find content
- the last site you visited before you came to our site.
Access and correction
You may request access to, or correction of, documents that contain your personal information which are in our possession. For information on how to make a request for access or correction, contact us.
In some cases, requests for access or correction will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic).
For further information regarding our privacy statement contact us.