Media organisations may request information via the NCIS data report service. The release of all data reports is subject to the approval of the relevant State/Chief Coroner(s).
What we can provide
The NCIS data report service can provide media outlets:
- Non-identifying statistics on certain types of death. For example, opioid-related deaths or deaths due to intentional self-harm
- Non-identifying summaries of cases and any associated coronial recommendations
- National data for Australia and New Zealand, as well as data for specific jurisdictions
What we can’t provide
- Identifying information. For example, the name of the deceased or their residential address
- Comment on individual deaths, perceived mortality trends or estimates of death figures
- The status of finalised or ongoing coronial investigations
- Access to coronial documentation, including inquest findings. To request documentation in relation to a specific case, contact the relevant Coroners Court directly
- Non-fatal injury data
Need data now?
Alternative resources are available: