Data Entry |
Coding Reference |
The success of the NCIS is highly dependent upon our ability to deliver high quality data that is timely,
comprehensive, reliable and complete. The aim of the Quality Assurance team is to identify best
practice as well as deficiencies in the quality of the data held within NCIS.
NCIS quality is both a local and central responsibility, with jurisdictions and the NCIS Unit taking
steps and procedures to ensure that any deficiencies are identified and rectified within a timely
manner and also to ensure that improvement processes are implemented and maintained.
The main purpose of the NCIS data quality activities is to discover any inconsistencies and other
anomalies in the data and recommend data cleansing activities to improve the quality of the data
maintained in the NCIS.
The quality edits verify that the data conforms to the defined codesets and that interdependent data
fields, such as Case Type and Intent or Country of Birth and Years in Australia, are coded correctly.
There are various ongoing quality assurance activities that will be discussed throughout this
section of the NCIS website.
- Maintain systematic quality analysis and monitoring
- Work with jurisdictions to procure attachment of related documents
- Provide Coder and Third party user training
- Review and update NCIS procedure documents – Data Dictionary, Coding Manual, Data Entry Manual
- Develop NCIS Interactive Coder Training Tool
- Facilitate transfer of ICD-10 codes for Cause of Death from ABS
- Provide Help-desk assistance
- Review coding classification and ensure the codesets reflect current international standards and concepts
- Establish and maintain contacts within jurisdictions